- AVIATION SAFETY
The main purpose of Biratnagar Airport is to provide best service in meeting travelers' needs of safety, convenience, efficiency, and comfort. Biratnagar Airport domestic travelers' issues such as flight safety, customer service as well as statistics on-time performance. It is responsible for civil aviation safety, including developing safety regulations, and aviation security. It also has important role in making your journey as safe and comfortable as possible.
- FLIGHT SAFETY PRIORITY
Being first Certified Domestic Airport, Biratnagar Airport achieved its operation target of flight safety priority. Biratnagar Airport initiates aerodrome manual, regulation, operating procedures, including equipment check-up, personnel hands-on familiarity and emergency response to promote flight safety awareness. Our strategy is clearly targeted through standard operating procedures to achieve “Zero Accidents”.
- FLIGHT SAFETY REGULATION
We work under the Civil Aviation Authorities of Nepal (CAAN) providing Regulation as well Airport Operation Services with advice and recommendations on aviation safety regulatory frameworks, which meet the Civil Aviation Requirement (CAR) Nepal and International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)requirements and recommended practices.
- APPRON SAFETY AND OPERATING PROCEDURE
ICAO Universal Safety Oversight Programme has prescribed for the implementation of safety management system by the state for a number of aviation disciplines. Apron Safety, also known as Ramp Safety, is one of them.
As a Regulator BACAO has to discharge safety and security oversight functions whereas Service Provider or as Aerodrome Operator BACAO has to furnish different services such as air traffic, Air Navigation, Airport Rescue and Fire Fighting, Facilitation and needful Ground Aids etc.
- APPRON SAFETY
General Apron Safety
- Biratnagar Airport Restricted Area Pass must be displayed at all times by personnel operating on the apron;
- No person shall smoke or carry a lighted cigarette, cigar, match or naked flame on the apron, or any area where such is prohibited;
- No welding or other hot-work shall be undertaken without prior authorization from BACAO Director or designate.
- No construction or airport repairs of any kind shall be undertaken without an approval from BACAO Director or designate. The BACAO will receive the permit application from authorized official of the project. BACAO will review safety and security plans, protocols and mitigation methods and may authorize the permission.
- No person shall deposit or discharge garbage/ Foreign object Debris (F.O.D.) on the airside except in approved containers provided for this purpose.
- Apron Safety for personnel operating around aircraft
- Movement around aircraft stand or under the aircraft engines and fuselage should be restricted to technical staff and flight crew only- utilizing the proper personal protective equipment.
- Stabilizers protruding from vehicles must be clearly painted or labeled with reflector tape or reflectors depicting their potential hazard and must be in proper working order at all times;
- Ensure passengers are kept away from the aircraft's wings, engines and fuselage at all times by providing appropriate supervision. For additional safety cones are advised to form a lane to and from the airport terminal.
- Standing behind or in front of aircraft engines is restricted while the anti-collision beacon is activated;
- Approaching a aircraft, until the anti collision beacon has switched off or "All Clear" has been verified with aircrew, is restricted
- On power-back operations, stand clear of the engines;
- All aircraft, including those taxiing, about to taxi, or being pushed or towed, have right of way over all vehicles and pedestrians.
- No FOD is present
- The surface condition is suitable (no loose material)
- No birds or other wildlife are present (bird and wildlife presence is monitored and controlled)
- The paint markings are visible and correct
- The signs are visible and correct
- The lighting is serviceable
- Equipment provided is safe for use and serviceable
- FOD BINS
- ALL FOD will be deposited in appropriate FOD bins located near to Apron area temporarily.
No person shall:
- Throw, deposit or knowingly leave on a road, apron or maneuvering area of an airport, any material that may cause damage to any aircraft, vehicle or person;
- Throw, deposit or knowingly leave any form of trash or garbage at an airport except in a container provided for that purpose.
- Negligence in this context will be taken as "misconduct" at Apron area. Penalty of NRS. 500/= may be imposed for such misconduct.
Note- At no time shall garbage such as meals, cleaning materials, or sanitary products be thrown in FOD bins.